Holy Trinity Orthodox Church will celebrate its 100th Anniversary in Willimantic on Sunday, October 9, 2016. First organized locally in 1916, the small community began meeting in a converted house, then in St. Paul’s Church on Valley Street. Land for a building of their own was purchased in 1948, the foundation poured in 1950, but due to financial limitations, construction was not completed until 1957. Built of red brick with a gold cupola, and well maintained over the years, the interior furnishings include richly colored icons and altar cloths of remarkable beauty.
Among those expected to be present at the Centennial celebration are past and present parishioners and clergy, members of the OCF (the college organization of Orthodox students), extended family members, and visitors from Connecticut and nearby states.
Holy Trinity is located at 414 Valley Street, at the corner of Valley Street and Mansfield Avenue in Willimantic. A procession and Divine Liturgy are scheduled to begin at 9:30 AM. All are welcome. Directed parking will be available nearby.
Barbara Lacey, Secretary
Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
Click: Centennial Commemorative Booklet to preview the electronic copy in Adobe Web Viewer